Saturday, October 9, 2010

Flapper Hollandaise du Matin; or Going Dutch with the Baroness

The workers have gone off for the holidays, I'm up early before husband and hound, so thought I'd share a neat little trio of images.  Briefly, I'll explain their connection.  While I was at a vintage fair last weekend, I got to try on the cutest little early 1920s boudoir cap.  It was made of delicate lace, silk chiffon, and satin ribbon rosettes. Flip forward to a couple of days ago, and I stumbled upon a little article in a 1920s French magazine for "Bonnet du Matin Forme Hollandaise Pour Dame," which, if my uni French classes serve me here, translates to "Lady's Dutch Style Morning Bonnet/Cap." MY bonnet looked exactly like the one at left in the article illustrations, so it must be a surviving example of this.  The article notes that the style at right is a "bonnet de menage ou de jardin" (meaning it was known as a house or garden cap!?).  I don't know if I'd wear such a thing around the house, (though if I wore it while cleaning up using Dutch brand cleaner, it'd be a hoot), but the frivolous flapper that still resides inside would certainly consider coming to the table for a Saturday morning of eggs hollandaise in such "bonnet." ;)  I close this post with an image of a 1920s gal shown wearing a similar Dutch boudoir cap in a tinted postcard.



5 comments:

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

Oh how wonderful! Isn't it great when you work out the context behind these things. Yours is lovely, with those sweet rosettes.

Sarsaparilla said...

I think that bonnet would go very well with a nice breakfast of eggs hollandaise! Darling...

garofit said...

well i don't see why you wouldn't wear that! it's simply gorgeous! i would want one! but i bet i'd look ridiculous! still, it can't be as bad as wearing my hair net in the middle of the day around the house!hm, you got me thinking...:)

BaronessVonVintage said...

I love the historical connections when they can be made, too!

Darn, now I'm wishing I hadn't left it behind at the show. It just felt too delicate...and I'm rather clumsy. Maybe we can make ourselves vintage-inspired ones as ladylike alternatives to the hairnet, eh, garofit? :)

Nancy said...

Goodness, how cute you look in that bonnet! I want to see a picture of you cleaning with Dutch cleanser while wearing it! LOL