Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Backless like Bette

As if I don't have a million things to do, I've decided to try to whip up a little halter or two.  I was gonna try to go for the whole halter and shorts set inspired by Bette Davis's get up in The Working Man (see below), but I am just not advanced enough to make wearable shorts in a day.  Wish me luck that I can get the halter(s) right, especially in time for mes vacances! Right now, as Hazel, the dress form is demonstrating, the pieces have been cut out but not sewn.  Thank goodness the pattern I am using (it's the halter top from Wearing History's late 30s halter and trousers pattern set) is so darn user-friendly!!










Plaid fabric is from the "Happy Campers" series from "American Jane" Patterns. I seriously could never tire of this fabric. I'm planning on making my kitchen curtains in this next!


14 comments:

A said...

Super cute! That fabric is fantastic!

garofit said...

oooh, i love this one, i want one too!

Flapper Flickers + Silent Stanzas said...

Lovely! And that photo of Bette is a favorite. ^_^

Sarsaparilla said...

You mean they had halters before the 70's? Just kidding...I knew that! Though I'm sure I didn't realize it back in those days when I was wearing them. I thought halters were this young and hip (and slightly risque) new fashion idea.

The plaid is darling. It will be fun to match your kitchen curtains!

Nancy said...

Adorable! and I love American Jane fabrics, too! I haven't snagged any yet because I can't decide on just one and I'm trying not to buy fabric right now!

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what "American Jane Fabrics" are but where can I get some? And that plaid is a scream!

Anonymous said...

And how cool are you for seeing Bette as a muse. She was quite the little rebel in her day. :)

BaronessVonVintage said...

After winning an amazing book from TIME MACHINE TO THE 20s, I learned a lot more about the amazing Ms. Bette Davis.

Darlene, I believe I got this fabric from a shop on Etsy. Darn, I forget which. I'll try to look it up when I get back from vacation...?!

BaronessVonVintage said...

garofit: if I was a better seamstress, I would totally make you one. I could still do, but I am pretty sure it'll be VERY imperfect.

Francy said...

Cute! I love it! And the photo of Bette is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

You have quite the eye for fabric, I love this plaid! Let us know how the fabric works as a garment---I know some quilting fabrics work better than others and I'm curious to know where American Jane Fabrics rank.

Sydney B. said...

Darling play-suit and perfect fabric!

XO~Syd

Casey Maura said...

This fabric is perfect for Lauren's pattern! Fantastic! Now I'm dying to make a little halter top for myself before the summer is out. ;)

♥ Casey
blog | elegantmusings.com

Andi B. Goode said...

Oooh, I do like that plaid!
-Andi x