Thursday, May 6, 2010

Lilac Time

As I type this post, the heady scent of lilacs is wafting in through my window from the tree right outside.  Both the flower and the color "lilac" are so romantic.  No wonder various hues drawn from this garden delight seem to have been so prevalent in the 1930s.  Popular fabric pairings to go with the lilac: silk chiffon, stretch lace, and satin.  To illustrate: a fantastic image of the "Lilac Queen" (and friend), circa 1930, thus crowned during the Rochester, NY Lilac Festival; a 1930s lace dress from JuneeMoon on Etsy; a mid-1930s evening gown, image from myvintagevogue; a paler bluish 1930s lace gown from Dirty Birdies Vintage.  I was going to include a picture of a lilac satin gown I had in the Etsy shop, but it got snapped up...











Music: "Lilac Wine" (couldn't find Nina Simone singing it online, but that's okay: Jeff Buckley's version is incredible)

7 comments:

Francy said...

I love lilac. I wish I had some right outside my window as well. I am also in love with the third photo. That dress is stunning!

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

When I was a little girl, we had 2 enormous lilac bushes in my yard. They are my mother's favorite, so I'd clip off a few branches for her every few days until lilac season was over. I adore lilacs!

Unknown said...

beautiful post Baroness !
Lilac was particularly popular in the 1920's, as were many other pastels. Floral patterns in particular for summer frocks.

Kate said...

I have a white lilac bush in my yard but it is so over-grown it is almost taller than my house! I just had to cut some yesterday and put them in a little white creamer to match my room :)

Stefanie Valentine said...

Gorgeous dresses, the third one is beautiful xx

Nancy said...

I miss the Lilac festival in Rochester. It was so fun and the acres of lilacs were gorgeous. I just loved driving past Highland Park with the windows open. The smell was heavenly.

Andi B. Goode said...

I love lilac, too. I'd love a pretty lilac dress! And I love that song. I've never heard Nina Simone sing it but I also like Eartha Kitt's version. As well, of course, as Mr Buckley's divine rendition.
-Andi x