Tuesday, May 24, 2011

McCardell's Masterpieces

I was just going through my blog roll, and noticed Glamour Splash's reminder that today would have been designer Claire McCardell's birthday.  I think McCardell's work was chicer than chic; here are some of my favourite design/innovations of hers.  Do you like this designer? If so, what are your favourite designs of hers?

1)  1934 halter-trouser resort/sportswear outfit for Townley Frocks.




2) Popularisation of the "side cutouts" style maillot bathing suit for women in the mid-1930s. Not sure Joan Blondell is wearing a McCardell design per se, but her suit certainly captures the essence of the style.



3)  1956 cotton plaid dress.

8 comments:

Kori said...

Loving that dress! Kori xoxo

Lauren Hairston said...

Picking a favorite Claire McCardell is no small task! I love this plaid playsuit (http://t.co/7OVW3Jm) and this rayon jersey little black dress (http://t.co/BOg9x9x).

In other news, I was just watching Good Girls Go to Paris with Joan Blondell and Melvyn Douglas. Joan's always so cute!

Katiuscia said...

the plaid dress is really cute

Anonymous said...

I love McCardell's work - always so clean and uncluttered. One of my prized patterns is one she did for McCall's the year she died.

Q's Daydream said...

That last dress is perfection!

Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion said...

i just found your blog: it's so beautiful, like the dress in this post :)

Solanah said...

Oh that plaid dress is a dream!

Amelia said...

I just found your lovely blog! So great to see one from a fellow Canuck (I'm from Toronto).