Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Flowers in the Snow

After my sleepy little town virtually shut down today due to surprise snow flurries, I decided to make this snow day a sew day.  Well, sort of: I cut out the pieces to make a 30s dress using this 20s/30s cotton fabric I bought a while back and pinned them on the mannequin (which is much smaller than I am) to get a vague idea of how they might go together to form a wearable garment.  I was going to have a more expert dress-maker construct a garment out of this beautiful material on my behalf, but decided that if I am ever going to learn and improve my sewing skills I ought to give dress-making another whirl after a looooong hiatus between projects.  I should note that I am using the top part of an Eva Dress halter playsuit pattern for the top of this dress, while the pattern for the skirt comes from a Vintage Pattern Lending Library 1930s sports dress.  Let's see how far over my head I can go here, shall we?  Wish me luck!  I reallly hope I have a snazzy and wearable dress for the warmer months that, right now, seem forever away. :)









13 comments:

Stephanie Lynn said...

Looks like it's going to be cute!

Debi said...

oh yay! So glad you are sewing! This will look fantastic together! Love the fabric!!

Marie said...

Utter gorgeousness!

Jealously,
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
Otis and James accessory giveaway

Mary said...

Nice!

Beth said...

So cute! It may feel out of season, but you're wise to plan ahead. Yay for sewing!

Kate said...

Looks good so far! Love that fabric :)

The Dreamstress said...

Loooooove the fabric!

iLiveinmyLab said...

Oh wow I love that fabric! I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines!

BaronessVonVintage said...

thanks for the sewing support!! Must keep up the momentum. Hope to have something to show you in the form of a wonderful summer ensemble in a few months (dress should be sewn by the time the snow goes, I HOPE!) xoxo

Emily said...

Love that fabric!!! :)

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

Oh exciting! Well done for going for it, the only way to learn is just to dive in. I have no idea abour sewing (other than mending) so I am impressed x

Lauren said...

OOOH! This is going to be so cute! The fabric is adorable! Yay for you! You've totally got the eye for color and composition, so I'm excited to see you working more on your sewing! Everything I've seen you make so far has been smashing :)

That Eva Dress pattern has been on my wish list for a long time!

BaronessVonVintage said...

thank you!!
Lauren: I'm sooo flattered. I think you are such an amazingly talented dressmaker, so this is a huge compliment to me.