Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tea and Matisse

After days of cabin fever, we finally decided to brave the snowy weather for a day of tea (at my favourite little tea house in town) and Matisse (some of his works are on display at the local Art Gallery).  Since we parked near my favourite historical site, Whitehern House, I couldn't resist a little baronial photo op.  While inside, I learned of an amazing local early 20th century artist whose works I had never seen.  His name was William Blair Bruce paintings and his works were just gorgeous. His use of colour, the sense of movement and detail in his huge canvases, his ability to capture light and shadow=WOW.  Anyway, this ended up being my perfect sort of day: a peaceful and civilized little outing centred around tea and art!  Didn't hurt to have an excuse to wear some of my favourite vintage items out and about either. Lovely day!




Outfit Details:
1930s crocheted hat: vintage fair
1930s jacket: ebay
30s plaid scarf and knit skirt: Tottie on etsy
30s style lace up oxford shoes: Gravity Pope, forever ago
30s style blouse: nudeedudee






17 comments:

Carys said...

Lovely outfit, the colour really suits you!!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Comtesse de ferveur said...

You look as pretty as a picture yourself. I love everything, and most especially the shoes.
x Comtesse x

Emily said...

Aww you look so cute!!! Great outfit! :)

Harlow Darling said...

Ohhh you look wonderful, love the little flash of tartan the scarf gives the whole outfit! A visit to a tea house and art gallery sounds like the perfect way to shake that awful cabin fever :D

Kim said...

You look lovely, as you always do!

BaronessVonVintage said...

Dear Carys: thank you! In retrospect, the scarf was a bit more orange than the skirt, but I was determined to make everything work!

Comtesse: kind thanks! I'm trying to remember what label they are (all I know is they are non-vintage, but vintage inspired. Perfect for wear out in the slush, as they are weather proofed and not a pair of precious 30s shoes!).

Harlow Darling: thank you!! I love my plaid, so the scarf was a perfect way to help keep the winter chill out of the wide neckline of the jacket.

Emily, Kim: thank you! xoxo

Anonymous said...

You have quite the knack for putting together amazing winter outfits---and I love your purse/handbag!
~Christine

BaronessVonVintage said...

thanks! It actually took me a while to figure this one out. I was so tired of my parka and clunky winter boots!

Stephanie Lynn said...

You look lovely. I'm particularly smitten with the hat!

Andi B. Goode said...

That sounds like my idea of a lovely day, too. And you look gorgeous to boot.
-Andi x

Sara Kristiina said...

Awh you look great! That painting is nice, I'd love to hang it to my room's wall :D

-Sara
autumn, coffee and inspiration

Katiuscia said...

oh Baroness you're just soo beautiful! i love this outfit,it really suits you,and i particularly like the last pic when you're wearing the hat

Tickety Boo Tupney - A Dash OF Worcester Sauce. said...

A perfect outfit for a perfect day out- you are looking super again, Miss! Especially love your beret and bag! Tups x

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

Gorgeous outfit as always. I bought a dapper little 1930s hat yesterday and it made me think of you :)

VildesVerden said...

Looks and sounds like a wonderful day

Lauren said...

Beautiful! You always look so chic :)
Sounds like a perfect day!

BaronessVonVintage said...

thanks, Katia, Tickety Boo, Penny, VildesVerden, Lauren!! It *was* such a lovely, low key day!

As for the hat, I would love to actually make myself a few of these (one in every color?), but in the meantime, the vintage one in the pic is a favourite topper.