Friday, September 24, 2010

The Mighty Oak and the Adorable Acorn

Since garofit showcased some lovely examples of 30s bakelite and celluloid jewelry with an oak and acorn theme in one of her beautiful moodboards, I have been unable to get them out of mind, so thought I would repost my favourite examples here (I also included an amazing image of acorns "in the raw," originally from Sally Jane Vintage's blog).  I think acorns are the cutest things going and these vintage lovelies take the humble little nuts and make them something even cuter!  Sometimes I still have dreams of trying to make some little baubles out of actual acorns.  I blame Martha Stewart. Ever since I accidentally saw her make an acorn into a little lidded locket, I have had these nutty crafting ideas. har.

1930s Leaf brooch with Acorn Dangle, sold by Tomatored



1930s celluloid acorn bracelet, Doll007


12 comments:

garofit said...

ha ha, i was planning to do a post exclusively dedicated to these, as i've got quite a few examples

BaronessVonVintage said...

Oh darling! Sorry to accidentally snipe your nut post topic! You should still do it!!!

Flapper Flickers + Silent Stanzas said...

I love that bracelet! Many years ago I made a necklace out of acorns, but let's just say it didn't have a very long shelf life. LOL

nona said...

I've been eyeing this Danecraft acorn necklace for a while. It really is perfect for fall.

Lauren said...

Oooh... how pretty!
I have a wooden brooch with acorns hanging off of it. I always forget to wear jewelry. I'll have to add it to my go-everywhere jacket to get me in the fall mood. Thanks for the inspiration, gals :)

Nancy said...

AHHH! Love too much! I also love acorn prints, though that's a bit unrelated.

garofit said...

no worries, there's plenty of room out there for nutty posts :)

Roxanne said...

Love that!

Lisa said...

It was pretty common in the Mzke do and Mend era for ladies to make jewellery from real acorns, I say go for it! I'll be trying it this year for sure!

Anonymous said...

I too love acorns and had a recent dream that I was "little acorn girl" -- meaning that I was an acorn girl, quite literally. They ARE positively adorable, and I wish I could figure out what exactly this dream meant.

Gorgeous baubles, J...

I miss seeing you around my blog...

Kate said...

This post really inspired me! I've posted a tutorial on how to make your own acorn earrings on my blog if you are interested :)

http://vintageinamodernworld.blogspot.com/2010/09/diy-acorn-earrings.html

Stefanie Valentine said...

I loved that leaf brooch, and then I saw the acorn bracelet and it was love at first sight, sigh...