Monday, September 27, 2010

Hooked!

FINALLY finished my first crocheting project: that little Glow Crinkle hat I had posted the pattern for a while back.  This is my second attempt.  The first hat was a disaster, as I had not yet learned how to stop my chained ring from twisting.  This final product (modelled below by the lovely Myrna, my hat bust, as I am too bleary eyed from days of crocheting, so shall save you the horror of looking at my wrinkled visage) looks a bit like a cute little wearable pastry, but I am not certain I draped it exactly as described in the instructions. In my defense, I shall state that I don't think the image matches the written instructions--it says to pin the RIGHT side down but the left side is down in the image, etc.  In the end, I took bits and pieces from the written instructions and others from the visual to create this cap. Also, I made it in an off white yarn instead of the brown called for (so I could see my novice level stitches better), but the main thing is that I *think* I got the crocheting part correct?   One way or another, I'm definitely hooked on crocheting!! My fingers are already itching to tackle another project.  Thanks to Kate over at Vintage in a Modern World for posting great instructions on how to make acorn jewelry; I used elements of her directions to create the acorn button atop this sporty pixie-pastry topper.









20 comments:

Mary said...

Hey, that's kinda cool; bet I could make one!

Carys said...

What an adorable hat indeed, I'm so impressed that you made it!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Marie said...

So great! I love crochet texture! Lovely.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

iLiveinmyLab said...

Oh that's so lovely! Fantastic hat!

garofit said...

oh but it's gorgeous! love it, love it, love it!

PS thanks for introducing me to Cold Comfort Farm! i've seen it now and enjoyed it immensely!

meena meena said...

oh it came out wonderfully! it DOES look like a little popover but in the best way.

Frollein von Sofa said...

how wonderful ! the upper part could be a good base for making a bow, too...show us a picture of you wearing it !!

Anonymous said...

Looks really nice! Good job!

Unknown said...

How Lovely and the acorn is such a perfect little detail. Well worth the bleary eyes. :)

Anonymous said...

YAY! Superlative, Missus!

Anonymous said...

This is so adorable, I love it!!

Stefanie Valentine said...

So cute! Well done on the hat, can't wait to see what you make next!
My knitting has been put on the back bench lately, but hopefully I'll be able to make something soon.

Solenn said...

Wow congrats for this beautiful hat, in a hurry to see it pictured with one of your goregous 30's outfits !

XOXO

Solenn

BaronessVonVintage said...

hehe, thanks, everyone!!! My hubby thinks I looked like a smurf in it, but I learned a lot about crocheting basics while making this, so that's the main thing.

Frollein: GREAT idea about the bow! Must try that out!

Kate said...

Glad my post helped! That hat turned out really lovely :)

Anonymous said...

You did a wonderful job. It looks fabulous!

Lauren said...

EEK! I *love* IT! Congrats on a beautiful hat! And the acorn is too cute for words :)

The Dreamstress said...

That is adorable! Now I really, really want to learn to crochet!

ina said...

I can't say but WOW!

BaronessVonVintage said...

thanks again! Just started another project that is maybe a little less dramatic than this one, but should be fun. Will be sure to share the finished product if/when I complete it!