Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Glory of George Hoyningen-Huene


Summer cannot come soon enough.  In the mean-time, I shall bask in the glory of George Hoyningen-Huene's amazing photographs, which sort of inspired my photo from yesterday, but which also clearly connect to the look of Jantzen's diving girl logo (not sure which came first?).  The striped booties the lady in the last image is wearing make me weak in the knees.  All in all, these capture bronzed deco brilliance. Side note: I only discovered this photographer recently (too much English studies, not enough visual arts in uni.), but I think I have had a Hoyningen-Huene print hanging in my bathroom for the past six months without knowing it (one of those Ikea jobbies that doesn't give photographer's name, but the style and subject seems EXACTLY like these.  Hmmmm.....)



















6 comments:

Nancy said...

My photographer-husband just stopped in mid sentence when I started looking at these photos. They're so beautiful! I'm enjoying the womens hairstyles, especially in the second photo. Beautiful!

BombshellShocked said...

I'm snickering at 4th photo. The man on the top right has little ballet-bathing slippers. I can't imagine my DH in anything like them!

soulier dans la neige said...

this ost reminded me that at the museum where I work, we will be having an exhibition on Jacques Henri Lartigue, painter and photographer from the 20's - 30's so this means I'm going to look at his great photos all summer long :) thanks for your comment on my new haircut !

Francy said...

Wow! I am swooning over these photos. They're so beautiful.

BaronessVonVintage said...

I too LOVE the hairstyles....

Bombshell: you're RIGHT. Lots of men in bathing ballet slippers! My hubby wears aqua socks when we go to the beach because he's got these ridiculously sensitive feet. Maybe he needs some of THOSE ;)

Oh, Soulier dans la neige: I LOVE Lartigue as well. LUCKY you to be able to enjoy his work in that way this summer!!!

Francy: DOUBLE SWOON!

Marie said...

They are gorgeous photos. Would love to own a swimsuit just like some of those!
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
Spring into Spring giveaway