Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Brilliance of Brassai

Yesterday, while watching the Vogue/Anna Wintour documentary, The September Issue (which I'm afraid I found dreadfully dull), I was reminded of photographer Brassai and his remarkable work capturing Secret Paris of the 30s when the film mentioned how one of the photoshoots in the issue was inspired by his work. I love the presence and use of mirrors and lighting, as well as the sometimes almost menacing intimacies which are captured in his photos of Parisian Jazz Age nightlife in all its sordid splendour.

brassai1


brassai1


brassai3


brassai6


brassai4



Music I'm Listening To: Beirut, whose music is like Brassai's images in lyrical form


11 comments:

Kelley Anne said...

This is wonderful. I agree with you about the mirrors and lighting. The one of the woman on the street with her shadow trailing out before her is my favorite.

Dizzy Dame said...

huge inspiration for me.

Riikka said...

Wow, those images are so atmospheric! They really take you back to the time and place.

Andi B. Goode said...

Good golly, I love Brassaï. His work is marvellous...and so mysterious, too.
-Andi x

billyjane said...

I love Brassai,but just so you know,pic.no2 is not him,it's Andre Kertesz -Danseuse Burlesque, Satiric Dancer, 1926

BaronessVonVintage said...

oopsy! thanks billyjane...for some reason a website advertising a Brassai exhibit had that image on its main page!!

Andi, how did you get that little umlaut over the "i"? I struggled with that for far too many minutes!!!!

Francy said...

I love Brassai too. Marvelous photos!

Eileen said...

What fabulous photos. So inspiring. I just wish more people had that kind of style today.

Amelia said...

these are so very wonderful! (As are Beirut whom I love rather dearly)
x x
lavilleinconnue.blogspot.com

Stefanie Valentine said...

What wonderful photos xx

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Love the pictures. And I'm very fond of Beirut's music too!