Thursday, June 17, 2010

Oh, Jabot! Part Two

As promised, here are a couple of pics of a 1930s day dress I have that has an attached ruffley jabot detail. If only these were as easy to whip up in a pinch as the jabot collars. This frock is dear to me as this was one of the very first 30s dresses I ever bought and I *know* it is not everyone's taste, but I just LOVE it.  It is part of the reason I fell head over heels in love with the 30s.  I wish I could show you all the various snaps that one must fasten to get the dress and collar in place.  I also wish it was a bit less wrinkly in the photos.  Oopsy.  Now, here's a quick note: I found this dress listed as 1940s and marked down significantly (assumably because the seller was thinking it was a really weird 40s dress ;)). This is how I've found many of my 30s dresses, so for fellow 30s lovers out there, I recommend when shopping online or in shops that sort frocks by decade, you check out other sections because many times the 30s dresses are thrown into the wrong category.  I could spot this as 30s from a mile away because of the jabot (as well as its length and the abundance of metal snaps).  'Nough said!





12 comments:

Q's Daydream said...

gosh, i love it! it's just like all of the dress the ladies worn in ealr 30s films. you look fabulous!

Q's Daydream said...

lord, that made no sense...but hopefully you get the idea :o)

Carys said...

Such a gorgeous dress, and a brilliant tip too!! Thirties is really difficult to come by, especially at reasonable prices, so I'll bear this in mind next time I'm looking!!!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

I love it! Thanks for the tip on 30's dresses. I just bought my very first 30's dress a few days ago. It needs some extra love but I think I can make it work. LOVE The jabots!!

Debi said...

BEAUTIFUL dress! I love the jabot!

Anonymous said...

So, this was the quintessential starter dress? I can see the appeal, Baroness. I love the way it just skims the curves without being too racy. And the neck detail is frilly and feminine, yet channels something masculine as well. Hmmm, I don't know if I can explain what I am driving at. I will keep your strategy in mind.

P.S. Have you any inclination to a vintage silk and velvet 20's plum-colored fainting couch blanket and pillow with tassels? If so, drop me a line... perhaps we can work something out to bedeck your deco-styled home, missus!

A said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I just love your 1930s style.

Best Wishes,
Amanda

garofit said...

Beautiful in blue, the last pic is just wonderful!

Lauren said...

I LOVE it! And the jabot is adorable - quite the special touch!

~Lauren

BaronessVonVintage said...

This is definitely the one that started it all. Oh, jabot, indeed ;) xoxo

Francy said...

I am in love with that collar! So, so pretty!

Nancy said...

Dearest, you absolutely CHANNEL the spirit of this aesthetic! Gorgeous!